When a very dear friend told me she had a bag of clothes she didn’t want anymore, my little heart pitter-pattered. There were many lovely items in the bag. Some that were perfect for me, some that I rehomed to people who I knew would love them. There was one item, however, that I had a hunch about, and just couldn’t get myself to hand over when the time came.
Here it is:
I loved the fabric. The fabric was the single most appealing part of the jacket, the second being that it is fully lined…even the external pockets are fully lined. The problem is that the shape did nothing for me: it was too boxy, too long and the sleeves were way too long.
I’ve been looking at it hanging in my closet for a while now, and finally had a little time to start thinking about it. I put it on and started playing with it. It would not be so easy to just take length off whole thing. First of all, there were the pockets, and second of all, it needed a waist. I began pinning it into submission, eventually basting with bright green thread so I could see what it would look like.
Next, I unstitched the lining at the bottom in the back, leaving it intact just at the front placket. I was not going to touch the front placket at all, except to move the button. I used a red marker to draw along where I would want the seam to be. I unstitched the pockets on the two sides that were not attached to the front placket.
Next, I sewed. I measured nothing. I could have. Maybe should have. But, if you have been following me at all, you know that I have no patience for such things as precision and method (words I am mentally pronouncing like curse words, thank you very much.) I tried it on. Saw where it was wonky, pinned again, then sewed some more until I ended up with this:
To finished it up, I pinned the pockets back on and sewed them back down. I lopped off a good length of sleeve and hemmed it (do not look too closely. They are not even or straight.) I moved the button and tacked down the lapels until I can iron them so they stay slightly more open. I re-basted the lining down in the back. I will need to press the seams, because they aren’t terribly flat.
The red belt was a fun touch which, if I decide to wear it, I will attach little belt loops at the sides. I’m not there yet…for the moment I am basking in the glow of a hunch which paid off!!
And voilà! I cannot wait to take this new jacket out. Although I’m hesitant to show it to the friend who gave it to me…she might want it back now!!!!
5 thoughts on “All that potential!”